Bugs and insects are not something you want to find in your home. Fruitflies are particularly annoying as they seem to appear out of thin air, and just won’t seem to go away.
Swatting them away is only a temporary solution, and as long as the fruit is present, they’ll always come back.
Fruit flies are attracted to ripe, fermenting or rotting fruit and vegetables in your home. They are also very attracted to other fermented drinks like beer, sweet spirits and wine.
They can also appear in drains, rubbish disposal units, bins and mop buckets. Wherever there is a smell of any kind, the fruit flies will be there.
Are fruit flies a serious threat?
Fruit flies are a nuisance more than anything, but they also have the potential to contaminate and infect food with bacteria or other pathogens. If left untreated, fruit fly infestation can become even more of a threat to the cleanliness and safety of your home.
The most visible telltale sign of a fruit fly infestation is seeing them flying around near fruit bowls, bins, or used wine glasses and bottles that have been left out.
Read more about the threat fruit flies post to your health.
How to get rid of fruit flies:
If you spot little brownish-black bugs flying around, try to seek the cause of the flies. Here are some preventative measures to help avoid the appearance of fruit flies:
- Clean up sugary substances like fruit juice immediately
- Keep drains free of food particles
- If you have a fruit bowl, make sure that you keep it fresh and clean it regularly. Even if you eat all the fruit, there could be some leftover particles for the flies to be attracted to
How can I get rid of fruit flies for good?
Most pest infestations are dealt with most effectively by using a pest exterminator company. If you have a flea or ant infestation, for example, make sure to get the insect infestation solved professionally. Experts are more equipped to get to the root of the problem and ensure that they reduce the chances of a repeat infestation in the future as long as you follow their advice and the information on this page. They will be able to use products that are safe for you and your family, especially if you use services like Pest Control Experts (https://www.pestcontrolexperts.com/local/california/) to eradicate the pest problem.
With fruit flies, if there are only a few little pesky ones flying around, try the following home remedies:
- Fill a glass or jar with apple cider vinegar, and cover the top with cling film.
- Wrap an elastic band around the top to seal the edges.
- Poke a few small holes in the cling film
- Fruit flies will be attracted to the vinegar, but once they are inside, there is no escape!
Apple Cider Vinegar and Soap
- Mix cider vinegar and dish soap in a bowl
- Flies are immediately immersed once attracted to the smell and there is no escape!
If you want to use chemical treatments, see more here.